Today is a big day in the Reinke house.
My little brother is now a teenager.
I know… It’s terrifying.
I mean I knew he was growing up.. He’s a lot taller than me now and his voice is all deep and stuff.. But now he’s 13..and it’s crazy. So even though he doesn’t usually read my blog (cough jerk cough) I decided to write about him and give him a little advice about surviving teenage years.
Being only 2 and a half years apart, we’ve always had a love/hate relationship.. We disagree on a lot of subjects…especially taste in music..but I don’t know what I’d do without him. I tell him pretty much everything and sometimes he lets me give him girl advice… (I pretend like I know what I’m talking about). He is so talented.. His determination always inspires me so much more than he knows.
Well Hudson… (and any other newly 13 year old in the world) I have a few guidelines for you about surviving teen years. (Guidelines….not rules….teenagers hate rules.)
1. Don’t try too hard. You’re amazing as you are. Don’t change for other people… Don’t pretend to be something you’re not.
2. Don’t be cool. Listen… you’re a teenager now…coolness is part of the package! Do stupid things. Dance at parties. Laugh at dumb jokes. Don’t be afraid of embarrassment because what’s better…having fun? Or watching others have fun because you don’t want to be laughed at? Definitely numero uno.
3. Don’t fuss too much about your hair. Trust me, it looks fantastic.
4. Do what you love. If you love to sing, sing loud. If you love to play sports, play until you’re exhausted. And if you love to unicycle…then you be the best darn unicycler the world has ever known.
5. ALWAYS hug your mom goodnight. This is the most important.. If you want to survive years as a teenager, never be too cool to hug the woman who gave birth to you.
Hudson, I love you. I’m sorry if I’m being an embarrassing older sister…but I mean it. I can’t believe you’re a teenager..but for me you’ll always be the little boy with the lion bath towel and basketball pacifier.. The boy I acted out multiple scenes from High School Musical with in the living room. The spikey-haired kid with the raspy little voice. My best friend. I can’t wait to watch you grow more..(hopefully not in height because I can’t have people thinking I’m younger than you).. I can’t wait to help teach you how to drive one day.. Or intimidate the girl you bring to family dinner.. Believe it or not…I got sad earlier thinking about someday not sharing a bathroom with you.. I’ll miss arguing over my make up being on “your side” and brushing our teeth together.. I’ll miss listening to you sing Whitney Houston in the shower.. But right now I’m gonna finish watching your favorite movie with you… Lego: Adventures of Clutch Powers.. No. Not the Lego Movie… You’re way too hipster for that.. And today while you listen to Eminem in the car, I’ll remember that someday I won’t get to hear you singing…or….rapping..along from the back seat. Promise you’ll never lose your strange fascination in leprechauns. Or give up on your dream. And never EVER change your very detailed process of fixing your hair (no matter how much I mock it) because your hair is truly a work of art. Fo real.
I love you, Hudson. Thank you for being my best friend, for always making me laugh..and for being the best brother in the world. Oh….and happy birthday.
I wuv you Hudsy Wudsy bear..
(In case I haven’t embarrassed you enough.)
peace & love